Utility Billing

The City of Corinth Utility Billing Department is a division of Finance and is responsible for providing the highest quality of customer service and knowledge to our customers. The department serves approximately 7,100 water accounts, ensuring accuracy and efficiency in the collection and assessment of user charges, assisting customers with establishing utility services and addressing all utility service account related inquiries.

New Accounts 

To establish a new account, customers are required to fill out a new account application. A deposit is required for each account and is retained by the City to be applied to the final bill.


Bills are due by the close of business on the due date as indicated on the statement to avoid a delinquent fee. Late notices are mailed out the following business day indicating a final due date for payment in order to avoid a nonpayment service fee and interruption of service. To pay your bill online please click here. To learn about other methods of payment accepted by the City please click here.

Solid Waste Services

Garbage, recycling, household hazardous waste pick up and yard waste services are provided by Community Waste Disposal  and are billed on the monthly water statements.  To contact Community Waste Disposal to schedule a household hazardous waste pick up, report a missed pick up, or with a question regarding items that are or are not allowed to be placed for pick up please call 972-392-9300 or 817-795-9300. For more information on services provided by Community Waste Disposal please click here.


Online Forms

Review various methods on how to conduct business with the City  from the convenience of your home.  

Current Utility Rates
View the City Of Corinth Water, Wastewater effective October 1, 2017 and Refuse / Recycling Rate Structure  effective October 1, 2018..

Free Irrigation Check-Up

Did you know that outdoor irrigation accounts for 50-70% of all water used during the summer months?  Upper Trinity Regional Water District is offering free irrigation system check-ups from spring through summer.  Click here for more information and to schedule a system check. Ensure that your sprinkler system is working properly and your watering schedule is appropriate for your needs.

Emergency After Hours

To report an emergency water main break, clogged or overflowing sewer main, or leaking water meter or hydrant call the Utilities After Hours Hotline at (940) 465-6698.